Men were sometimes buried along the trail or taken by boat or wagon to a nearby town after death or injury. Duerslin believed that Santa would some day be the center of a great lumber market. The first issue had news of Santa, Fernwood, Tyson and Emida. Maries, advertised "all oak bureaus and couches for each." That week in October was a busy one, he reported. According to the Times, Santa had two hospitals by this time. Robert Briggs was a dentist who resided on Renfro creek from 1908 to 1911. they entered by the back door, ate lunch, then after wrapping both safes in quilts, they blew them open. Johnny Johnson remembers that he, Toris Danialson, Guy Tyson and Pat Walker spent many hours boxing in the pool hall at Santa and at the camp on Charlie creek. He later moved to Emida and attended to his stock business from there. September 10, 1863 to John and Elizabeth [Corner] Roberts. Howard Seaman, Marie Anderson, Huldah Perry and Frank Bunnell.
The timbered areas were large, but there was also a good deal of farm land. Maries river valley were cattlemen who came by way of Tekoa and Hangman creek, crossing the divide at the headwaters of Santa creek and Emerald creek. Elsie died shortly after the Renfros came west, and her grave has the oldest headstone in the Woodlawn cemetery at St. John Danialson constructed the sturdy building of pine logs, hued with a broadax, and it is still standing in Santa. Renfro had secured the Santa post office which served the Santa creek residents, and which many oldtimers say 'had been traveling in a shoe box up and down the creek' until it was turned over to her care. In the rear of the hotel were the kitchen and dining room, and the family lived in the west wing. Maries river, and this started a stampede into the area. Most of the river drives were "pooled drives" The companies with logs to be brought down entered into an agreement, hiring one man to supervise one big drive each spring.
Some of these settlers had traveled through the valleys, looking for gold in days gone by, and they returned with their families. She established the post office and a small store in front of her hotel, and her son, H. Overnight guests slept in the "pasture" a large room upstairs. She sold the hotel to the Hendershotts in 1904 and built a new store near the river. The man in chare hired the "river pigs" and bossed the whole drive from start to finish.
IN THE SPRING of 1902 Sarah Renfro platted the Santa townsite, naming it for the established post office. Crews varies in number from around 30 to over 100 men.
SANTA, now a quiet little town located about 18 miles up the St. Maries, is rich in history, and from the standpoint of community importance, it was once The First.
It was the first town in Idaho to be platted by a woman.
And it was probably the first town in Idaho to be named for a post office that was already in existence. Maries river four miles below Santa to increase rafting facilities.
In the early days Santa was a distributing point for logging camps located in the surrounding area. Hendershott and their daughter, Edith [Hogue] moved into the hotel, and they, too, lived downstairs and travelers were provided with sleeping quarters upstairs. The early settlers established homes along Santa, Emerald, Caprenter, Beaver and Tyson creeks on land with beautiful meadows and stands of virgin timber. About 0,000 was spent in river improvements, and the 1903 season's output of logs was over 20 million feet.
Logging went on all winter around Santa, and logs were piled on the ice of creeks and the river until the spring breakup. Maries River were treacherous [60 miles of curves].
The toughest spot was The Loops, a stretch of rapids strewn with rocks where the water was whild and white. Ed Thompson of the Mc Goldrick Lumber Co., brought down the fastest drive, 23 days to the St. He added logs slowly, to keep them from jamming, he said. Maries held services Monday evenings, and services were at Tyson on Sunday. Walker, who both live in Brainerd, Minn., Pat Walker, who died in 1962, leaving many friends in this area, Samuel [Richard] Walker, retired St.
Life of the river pigs was hard and dangerous, yet they received small wages. They were asking for a 50 cents a day wage raise above their a day wage. By 1906, Santa had grown considerably, and there were many activities in the community. Maries advertised in the newspaper: "Calls by telephone from all parts of the upper St. WALKER and his wife, Esther, left Brainerd, Minn., and came to Coeur d'Alene around 1908. Maries postmaster, and Roland Walker who lives at Chatcolet with his wife Belle, daughter of Andy and Myrtle Porterfield. Harvey Renfro from across the street saw two men leave the building and fired his shotgun as they ran away. Walker gave no statement as to what was taken, according to the Times.
The hazards were extreme, and many river pigs were killed, especially in The Loops and while jam-cracking. Although there were other newspapers in the area, his was the first to be published in what is now Benewah county. The Sunday school count was steadily increasing in number, and the "school is in good repair," Duerslin reported. Maries country promptly responded to, day and night." Dr. They then came to Santa and later bought the Santa Mercantile. [Roland and Belle took over the operation of the Santa Mercantile in 1933 and operated it until their retirement in 1967.] In September of 1914 burglars broke into the Walkers' store. Gary who lived across the street heard the noise was "just gun shots" she failed to report it. HARVESTING the ice crop, sleigh parties, dinners and dances were winter pastimes, and young men in and around Santa especially enjoyed boxing. In 1880 Francis joined his brother in law and sister, Mr. Perry Prettyman and crossed the plains with teams and wagons. On February 16, 1882, Gunn married Cora, daughter of Nathaniel L. He engaged in general merchandise at Oakesdale and then they settled near Santa, and he became one of the leading stock raisers.